Monday, September 7, 2009

End of Training

I'm in the last week of training. On Thursday all the PCTs will swear in as PCVs... assuming we all pass our language proficiency exams. I just got word that I passed mine. What a relief!

Yesterday was bittersweet for many people as it was our last day of homestay. We said goodbye to the Malian families who have hosted us for the past two months and all the people we’ve met up until this point. There was a lot of hand shaking and a certain heaviness in the air that comes from sadness associated with the departure of friends.

I don't really have any crazy events to talk about this time around, but I thought it would be a good time to go over a few cultural things I've noticed lately and say a few things about swear in and the end of training. Also, I'm writing this entry on a fellow PCTs “Eee PC” and I must say... while its small and portable... it's too small and portable. I can't type to save my life on this thing! But it works, so I'm thankful.

I also want to mention that I am currently not sick, and haven’t been for some time now. I know my last entry or so said I was ill, but indeed, there are medicines to be found in Mali. I’ve been getting some emails recently saying things like “hang in there, even though you still aren’t feeling well” … etc. Yes, PCVs get sick here, but we are able to remedy illnesses easily and quickly in most cases… so mothers, rest assured.

End of Training
I’m sure I’ve said this before somewhere, but I think it bears repeating. You go through three months of training in PC. In PC Mali you do two months worth before “swearing in” as a Volunteer, and then one month of “in service training” between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We finish up our pre-service training on Wednesday and swear in as Volunteers on Thursday this week.

This final week has been filled with proficiency tests in things like culture, safety and security, health, technical work, and language. We just had our language proficiency tests today. Everyone was a bit nervous about failing. The reason being that if you fail, you have to take a week of intensive language tutoring and then get tested again… or you may not be allowed to swear in. Granted, PC wants you to pass and will do whatever it takes to get you to pass, but it’s still a stressful situation. I did pass my test though… so that makes the score Matt 1 : Bambara 0.

Swear In
As I said, Thursday is swear in. Everyone will get dressed up in nice American or Malian clothing, go to the embassy, meet the ambassador, and then take an oath regarding serving the US abroad. After that and a lot of picture taking we check into a hotel, and then get down to celebrating. Apparently we’ll be going to several places around Bamako enjoying good food, good friends, and good times.

The Culture of "Mine"
What I want to talk about is what I'm going to refer to as America's "Culture of 'Mine'". Of course I'm talking about the emphasis people from the US put on personal possessions. This idea doesn't translate well to Malians. It's hard for me to explain in a way that makes sense, but I'll try by starting with a case-study.

Case-Study: Give Me Your Ipod
Like most PCVs, I brought an Ipod with me. It's been a lifesaver. I love my Ipod. So do Malians. They want one too. In fact, they want MY Ipod. Several people at my homestay have told me that when it came time for me to leave, I should give them my Ipod. When I asked why, they simply said because they didn't have one. This didn't make sense to me on several levels, so I investigated further. Here's the abridged dialouge:

Malian: When you go, you will give me your Ipod.
Me: But if I give you my Ipod, then I won't have one.
Malian: Yes.
Me: How am I supposed to listen to music?
Malian: You will buy a new one.
Me: Where? There's no place to buy an Ipod in Mali.
Malian: You will have one sent from the US.
Me: How will I pay for it?
Malian: With your money. All Americans are rich.
Me: Actually, that's not really how it works.
Malian: Why do you Americans not like to give your things to other people?
Me: Because they are our things. If we give them away, we won't be able to enjoy them. We won't have anyTHING.
Malian: (confused look) So you won't give me your Ipod?
Me: No.
Malian: In Mali, everyone shares everything.
Me: Ok, but I'm leaving this place and going somewhere else. How can I share my Ipod with you if we live six hours apart?
Malian: (confused look) So thats a "no"? You won't give me your Ipod?
Me: No. It is my Ipod.

We went on to talk about how in Mali it is common practice for people to ask others for things. A person who is asked to give/share something apparently is under no obligation to actually give/share said object. However, it seems to be that said person better have a pretty good excuse or you come off as being extremely selfish.

This is where things don't translate to me. In the US we share things, but under normal circumstances friends don't usually ask eachother to give personal items. You borrow something, or go out and buy your own. A person who doesn't have a particular item doesn't approach someone who has the item and expect that person to give them whatever it is they lack... all loosely founded on the basis of "I need that, so you should give it to me".

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to complain or downplay Malian culture. Just explaining things through my American perspective. What I have described speaks volumes about the communal attitude of Malians and the willingness of people to help those around them. People are not afraid to simply ask others for things. To me it says something about the spirit of cooperation that is found here. Everyone helps everyone when they are able, not just when it is convenient to do so.

I might be sayng something edgy here, but I think a lot of the difference has to do with poverty. Mali is a poor place. The US is a rich place. It seems that in a rich society, everyone needs to have their own stuff. It's not simply about accumulating possessions, it is what is inferred about you if you don't have your own stuff... you're poor. And you don't ask people for things because that infers that you can't afford to get that thing on your own... which goes against the American dream or self-success.

This is not the case in Mali... a poor place. Everyone here knows they are poor. People in my homestay told me this everyday. The understanding here seems to be that since everyone is poor, teamwork is necessary. Amadu might own a shovel. Suma might own a bucket. Brahman might own a pick. None of them has the tools necessary to dig a well, but together they do... so people work together... on everything. It's strange if they don't. There's no embarrassment in admitting that a person doesn't have something. It's just another opportunity for people to work corporately.

No comments:

Post a Comment